TripAdvisor today announced that it has crossed the 500 million reviews and opinions milestone. The popular travel planning and booking site and app now receives 290 pieces of content every minute of every day. The phenomenal growth in user- generated content has been fuelled by travellers’ desire to “pay it forward” with insights and advice for millions of other global users.
Most Reviewed Hotel, Restaurant and Attraction on TripAdvisor
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in Thailand: Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) in Bangkok has more than 35,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in Thailand: Shangri-La Hotel in Bangkok has more than 7,500 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in Thailand: Vertigo Grill and Moon Bar in Bangkok has more than 4,500 traveller reviews
Other Asian Countries
- Most reviewed hotel in Indonesia : Padma Resort Legian, Bali has more than 5,000 reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in Singapore: Marina Bay Sands has more than 20,000 reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in Vietnam: Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi has more than 5,000 reviews
- Most reviewed tourist attraction in the world: The Basilica of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain has more than 107,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed hotel in the world: The Luxor Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada has more than 28,000 traveller reviews
- Most reviewed restaurant in the world: Pasteis de Belem in Lisbon, Portugal has more than 25,000 traveller reviews
“Since launching 17 years ago, TripAdvisor has revolutionised the travel industry by creating an environment where consumers can share honest opinions of their experiences and where businesses can see the rewards of achieving consistently high standards of service and value from the community,” said Stephen Kaufer chief executive officer and co-founder, TripAdvisor. “Many savvy businesses report seeing incremental increases in the ratings and rankings on TripAdvisor when they engage with travellers by responding to reviews and using the feedback to improve their customers’ experience.”
In 2014, Oxford Economics1 quantified the economic impact and added value generated for the travel industry by consumers using TripAdvisor. The study showed that TripAdvisor reviews and other content are not only heavily influencing much of the world’s travel activity, but are in fact the cause of some increase in travel activity.
Oxford Economics found that reviews, in particular, play a very important part in increasing travel activity by:
Content Integrity Remains High
The integrity of reviews and opinions remains high at TripAdvisor, where the company uses cutting- edge technology and investigation methods to ensure consumers continue to find reviews as accurate and helpful in determining the quality of their total trip experience.
Over the last several years, multiple studies continue to reflect that the overwhelming majority of travellers find TripAdvisor’s hotel and restaurant reviews accurate of the actual experience.
For an in-depth look at TripAdvisor’s methods, watch this recently released film that illustrates how the company succeeds at ensuring the quality of our content: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/n2769/journey-tripadvisor-review
How a Business Benefits from TripAdvisor’s Network Effects
Reviews and photos benefit consumers because they provide them with transparency, insight and a voice. Businesses that choose to engage with this review content by analysing feedback, making the necessary improvements, focusing on the positives and learning from the negatives, are usually rewarded with greater customer satisfaction, better reviews, more visibility and, ultimately, more bookings or reservations. This is what TripAdvisor calls the Network Effect of having a listing online within its community.
A property listing on TripAdvisor is the first page, or a virtual storefront, a potential customer sees when considering or researching a business. Having clear contact details surrounded by the best possible photos and embedded into well-managed reviews can go a long way in delivering more bookings.
TripAdvisor offers an array of free tools and subscription-based products to help properties take full advantage of the potential the site offers. Business Advantage and TripAdvisor Premium for Restaurants are two new subscription solutions for accommodations and restaurants to help them attract and engage with potential customers on the world’s largest travel site. These products also give owners access to in-depth analytics and enhanced reputation management features.
To find out more, visit: